Friday, January 16, 2009

hey lew


Dear Lewis,
Who are those kids? Anyway, happy anniversary the other day!! How crazy is it that we have 3 kids, 2 dogs, 4 1/2 years of residency left, and live in Alabama?!?!?!?! If you would have told me 9 years ago on our wedding day I probably wouldn't have believed it, but it's so great. An adventure for sure. (and I have the same hairdo today, is that a problem? yikes.)
You rock.
No, seriously, look how awesome you are. (oh, and you too Matt, John, and Ryan)
Thanks for letting me go pick Cate up last night. After 2 1/2 hours of crying (on the fourth night of "sleep training") I decided enough is enough. It's just not worth it. She's just a baby and before we know it she'll be off to kindergarten then off to high school and thinking we are so lame and then off to college and never looking back. So, while she's small I think I'll just rock her to sleep and hold her while she sleeps. I remember a woman that I worked with before I had Aiden telling me that she rocked her last baby to sleep for naps every day and then just held her while she slept. I totally didn't get it then. It seemed like the BIGGEST waste of time. But. Now I get it.
I totally get it.
See, it's just not worth hearing her cry and cry and cry. It's different than Aiden because Aiden wouldn't be rocked to sleep. She just hated (or should I say hateS) to sleep. It's not like Brooks either because he cried and cried if we were holding him or not. It really wasn't so bad listening to him cry himself to sleep because he was crying all the time anyway and at least when he was in the crib we could close the door! Am I right or what? But, with Cate it's just so sad. She never cries. Seriously. Isn't it amazing? If she does ever cry or fuss we just don't know what to do because it's so out of the ordinary. She is absolutely, positively, the sweetest and most gentle person I have ever encountered. Her soul is so tender and sweet, she is so mild and wonderful. I think that's what makes it so hard for me to listen to her cry.
So, thanks again for not minding that I'm giving up on sleep training my little love bug. Cate the great. I do want her to be able to fall asleep on her own and learn to soothe herself, SOMEDAY. But for now, while she's still so little and so easy to get to sleep (1:39.05, a new record!!!), I think I'll just rock her. Plus, she sleeps through the night, so I can't complain. Thanks for being so understanding and for not judging me.
We appreciate it.
(this is Cate sitting on my mom's lap while Aiden is admiring some ostrich eggs in the background. seriously, how many grandmas slash yayas have ostrich eggs at their house?)
I'd better run, yeesh. The kids are pushing the exersaucer up and down the hall with Cate IN IT!!!!
love, JJ

7 comments:

Dan and Dee said...

Good for you for holding and rocking Cate the great. The time does fly and as long as she allows you to rock her and comfort her do it!! It isn't just good for her, it is good for you as well--great bonding time. I love that baby cuddling time. I wish I had held my children more JJ so keep on enjoying those fleeting moments!

Happy Anniversary!

lnkmom said...

Happy Anniversary!!!

7-8-9 years goes by faster than you think it would!

Amy said...

What a sweet baby! They do grow up so fast. It is nice when they just want to be held. Happy Anniversary.

Oh, next time I see you I will defiantly teach you how to stand on your head. Despite my best intentions I have failed to stand on mine every day. Maybe next year....

Amy

Hillary said...

I always rocked Ben to sleep for naps, night, always... when i tried to do "sleep training" before he was ready -- he would have none of it. Then a few months later he would get mad when I rocked him and so I took that as a cue that he was ready to learn to fall asleep by himself. And he learned pretty quick. But man oh man when we tried before he "told" me he was ready I think he would have cried all night and then some.

I loved rocking him to sleep. You're right, it goes by too fast anyway. And on the rare occasion that he falls asleep in my arms while in the rocker I soak it up!! Cate is such a sweetie... I wish I could see her and hold her!!

How far is Oklahoma City from Alabama? If we live there maybe we could see you sometimes. It might be too far though... my geography stinks... I'll have to mapquest it.

Hope you guys are good and HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!! You guys are the bomb digity!!!
-Hillary

Lindsey Ricks Benedict said...

Happy Anniversary!! 9 years? has it really been that long? wow. anyway.. love you guys!
linds

Sarah said...

I'm glad Cate is a snuggler. That's something to be cherished. We miss you guys. Hope to get together soon.

Sarah

MIMOM2 said...

Congratulations!!!