Friday, April 11, 2008
the details as I remember them
well, I am really tired and wasted, but here's what I can remember. It's all sort of a fog. After picking A up from school at 1 we came home because of the tornado warning in effect. I actually posted the pictures pretty much right after it happened because I had been talking to my family and wanted them to be able to see the damage. Isn't it lovely? At about 3:30 the sirens started going off and the guys on tv said that two storms were about to crash into each other in our area. Lucky for us A makes us go to the basement every time the sirens go off. I was talking to my mom and Jordan on the phone and heard what I thought was a huge crash of thunder right above out house. I saw the wind whipping through the trees and ran upstairs to close the windows. When I did, I looked out the back windows and doors and saw the deck, totally demolished. ANd I am not kidding that a few months ago I had a dream and that exact image of the deck all torn up was in my dream. ANYWAY, I called my mom back in a total panic asking her to page Lewis because the phone and internet were down and this was the one day he had forgotten his cell phone. She was in the car on the way home from Target, can't blame her there, and did her best to calm me down over the phone. I decided to call one of Lew's co-residents and see if he could track Lew down for me. Meanwhile Lew was in the basement at the hospital waiting for the tornadoes to pass. Little did he know!!!! Finally his co-resident called the building where Lew was and someone went around and tracked him down. He called me back and headed home. It probably took him an hour to get here. His wonderful co-resident and fiancee came over and helped me put towels down where water was coming in through the basement into the laundry room. I had already unplugged everything and pulled it away from the wall, but it was nice to have the help. They stayed in the basement with the kids while I ran around like a chicken with its head cut off. They couldn't have come at a better time, it was so nice of them to come over right in the middle of the storm. They also took the kids to get dinner, I don't know what we would have done without the. Several neighbors also came by and made sure we were ok, offered us a place to stay, and also offered meals. The next door neighbor had three trees with the tops blown off, blocking our driveway, and pulling on the power lines. Down the street, another house got hit also, but it just hit the awning and a small part of the roof. Lewis got home and called the insurance company and there is a guy coming to take the tree down tonight. Luckily, we are all ok. There are at least 3 holes in our roof and the wall in B's room is starting to buckle, but we are so blessed to be all safe. That's all I can remember now and I'm sure it's impossible to understand, but I will put more as I remember it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
14 comments:
holy cow you guys!!!
I am so glad you are ok. I hope the house is OK too... sounds like you have great neighbors. that is so freakin' scary. be safe & I hope tornado season ends so soon!!
Oh my gosh!!!!!!!! Those pictures are amazing but the story is so scary. I'm so sorry and I'm glad you're all ok. What wonderful friends and neighbors you have. Keep us posted on everything!! Big hugs.
Tornado season starts in June and goes through October in Texas! Not a good sign!
Stay safe! I am so glad you had so many offers of help!
Oh my gosh!!! I'm so sorry! I'm so glad you are safe and that A made you go to the basement. I hope that the insurance company helps you fast. Good luck and I'm thinking of you.
We got the story from your parents tonight, but I still can't believe it's real! Thank goodness you guys were in the basement (yeah for A!) and thank goodness for awesome neighbors and friends who helped out. We'll keep you in our prayers!
oops, it isn't tornado season that starts June 1 in Texas, it is hurricane season. You probably have tornado season all year long.
Glad the kids learn young...give the Aiden a hug for being so smart!
I'm so glad you are all safe and OK. The pictures freaked me out, I can't even imagine going through that w/o your hubby being home.
I hope you can get your home fixed quickly! I didn't even know that tornados were a that common in AL.
Holy smokes!! I am SO glad you guys are safe!! That is SUCH a bummer! Good grief. I can't believe that tree...
SOOOOOO happy you are safe. How terrifying that must have been, especially with the kids there with you. I really hope it all gets put back together asap. We love you guys and we'll be praying for you.
Oh my gosh! I'm so glad you guys are safe. Hopefully things will get cleared up soon so your lives can go back to normal. Thank goodness for good friends and family. Keep safe.
that is crazy! I can't even imagine what that must have been like. glad to hear you are safe. hope your house gets repaired soon.
I am so glad you guys are O.K. It is amazing how much we see this on T.V. I can't believe you guys experienced this. I hope that life gets back to normal soon. How blessed you are to be safe and have such great support down there.
Holy Cow, they joys of living the south. I'm glad everyone is ok and hopefully everything can be repaired. Hopefully the insurance company doesn't have some clause in the policy excluding the damage...ok no more lawyer talk. Glad everyone is ok.
Ryan
I'm glad A is keeping you all safe from the tornados! And I am glad you have good friends and neighbors to help when you need them! Love ya!
out of curiosity...Is running around like a crazy chicken, similar at all to dead fish on the sidewalk? ; )
Post a Comment