
So I have to admit, I was once a Barbie hater. I mean, I was sure that Barbie dolls were making women have body image issues and vowed to never let MY daughters play with them and grow up hating themselves because they can never look as perfect as Barbie. Then one lovely spring Saturday morning I was at a Tag Sale (oh blessed tag sales how I miss you) with my then two year old daughter and she spotted the Barbies. There was a whole big box of them and she was begging for them all. They would have sold me all the barbies (at least 20) and all the clothes and the carrying case for 10 dollars, but I was sure they were so bad I said no. She begged and begged and drove me crazy until I said she could choose ONE and ONE only. Well, what can I say? She loved the Barbie and still does. She plays with them every day. Yes, THEM. She has lots and I plan on buying her more. I have come to realize that hey, I grew up playing with Barbies and honestly, I don't think I was traumatized by them. They aren't real and I think most kids can understand that. But what about the REAL people on TV that look crazy skinny or half naked? I know that she does not have any confidence issues right now, and I just hope to not mess that up. I am not an expert, and I'm really a rookie at this child rearing thing, so I don't know for sure, but I think that if I give her positive role models in her life and don't obsess about how I look MY daughter can grow up knowing that she is a daughter of God with incredible worth regardless of how she looks on the outside. (but isn't she about the cutest thing you've ever seen) (oh, and please excuse the run-ons but they are my specialty)
2 comments:
Totaly agree! Don't see any thing wrong with Barbie for girls or a sword for boys, as long as you are teaching them the right things (which I know you are!). I'm keeping my eye out for that "Rose Petal Cottage" ad, thanks for the heads up on it!!!
JJ- you played with barbies when you were little... what??
; )
Post a Comment