Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Not in Kansas anymore




These pictures are from last year, picking apples and pumpkins was a favorite fall activity in CT. I have been missing this, there are no "pick your own" farms around here. And the leaves are still very green.

So yesterday I went out and bought some bins to store our coats, hats, gloves, scarves, snow pants, etc. in. Apparently cockroaches like hanging out in cardboard, so I am getting rid of every piece of cardboard I can find. I also got motivated to get out my kids' "winter clothes" that I have stored in the basement. It was evident that: 1) Aiden has grown recently (hooray, finally, but she's still the smallest her age) and 2) my kids have WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY too many pants. I guess the children's place had the fleece pants on sale or something because Aiden has 4 pair!!! Ha! So funny to me because we have yet to wear anything but t shirts and shorts and sandals still and it's OCTOBER. I have to laugh because fleece pants (and fleece lined jeans) make perfect sense in Connecticut, but in Alabama....... it's a whole different story. We'll see if the tags even get taken off the fleece pants. My friend here told me that I could probably get by with a sweater or two and can I tell you I got rid of 2 huge garbage bags full of sweaters before we moved here, but I still have lots and lots of them. HMMMMMMMM. I guess we've gone from 6 months of winter to 6 months of summer and I've got to get used to it. I think it will always be funny to me that people think 85 degrees is nice autumn weather and drive around with their windows rolled down and dress their kids in sweats (I've seen it, I swear). But I have to admit, 80 does feel rather cool these days....................

6 comments:

The Bullocks said...

So I had to laugh at the whole cardboard thing. I have totally had to start getting plastic containers. we have nasty mice in our basement, and Bailee thinks it's so cool to tell everyone that we have pet mice that live in our house. I think I'd rather have the cockroaches.
it's nice and cold in Spokane, I was getting so excited for the Fall weather, but now I don't know why I was so ready to jump the gun on cold weather. I miss playing at the part. yet another reason why we need to come and visit you guys. (maybe when we're millionaires) we're so sick of being poor. wouldn't it be fun if we could just drop everything and fly out for the week. someday!!!!. love katie

Jack Attack said...

Hey, 80 is cold! (and think, we grew up in Park City...Vegas has thinned my blood).

Seeing the photos makes me want to go to a pumpkin patch so bad! There is no such thing here in the desert. I am going to Utah tomorrow and hope I can find one there.

The Frosts said...

You could not be speaking my language any more. It is SO depressing. I actually bought Carter about 20 long sleeved tshirts for the fall and doubt he'll wear half of them. It was 98 today and I want to cry! I am missing New England in a bad way. But we'll be laughing our heads off when their winter drags on and on (remember how old it gets in about Feb/March). I had no idea about cockroaches/cardboard. Yikes!!

Lindsey Ricks Benedict said...

Welcome to the world of no snow! We consider rain our "winter storms." And you should see how people drive when it sprinkles! I want to go to a pumpkin patch!! How fun. You know me and Halloween!! ; ) What are the kiddies going to be this year??

lnkmom said...

I was so happy when I saw your pictures, then I read that they were from last year. I really thought that the trees were changing color in your neck of the woods. SO SORRY! Oh, and may I ask you and Monique to please gloat in private when you have beautiful weather around Feb/March. I will not be in the mood to hear about it!

Hillary said...

Well... I am sorry for your sadness about Fall in New England (and northern states in general)!! I will really miss it when we leave here too.

Last weekend we went to a Fall/Pumpkin festival in Bristol and it was SO cute and beautiful... Pumpkin patches, Apple Cider Slushies, Hay-rides, Music, Sun Shining, Fall Breeze, Leaves changing... the works. But just think... by the end of this month it will be grey and miserable until practically MAY!!! You will be laughing at us by then!

Ha... speaking of bundling up for 80 degree weather... I have some relatives that live in SoCal and they are WIMPS in the cold! They break out full winter gear for low 70s!!! He he he!
Well have a great week!
-Hillary
P.S. Come visit us next Fall for our last Fall in CT!!! We'll fill up on all the fall festivities!!