Sunday, October 14, 2007

The Pocket

I would defend myself regarding the previous post about the Wii, but there are much more important things to discuss apparently. There was an outpouring of concern regarding my potential for future back pain with a front pocket loaded as full as it is in my lab coat. People really did notice and comment on it, so I will let you know 1--what is in there, and 2--why it is necessary. Enjoy.



2 black pens--all chart writing is done in black and I have run out of ink at inconvenient times with no spare pen in sight.








Highlighter and red pen: some things need to be emphasized.














Pen light--because Clint carries one everywhere he goes and I will not be outdone. Just kidding--it is for looking in mouths, noses, ears and eyes.
























Two reference mini-books. Pharmacopia is a drug reference. The other is full of useful hospital tips like normal lab values etc.















Palm pilot and notes/pt. lists. The palm is used for storing my codes, reminders, and to use as a calendar. It is a necessary evil.

So those are the regulars--other items make occasional guest appearances--like my cell phone stuffed in as an unwelcomed guest, or cash, which is always invited but never stays long. So that is the pocket. You wanted to know what was in there and there you have it.

FYI: there are 4 other pockets on the jacket, each of which carry a greater number of items as they are bigger pockets. Suture material, stethoscope, and many other items make their way around the hospital by hitching a ride in the Jones lab coat. In the meantime, I will continue to monitor my back pain.

NOTE from JJ: If you want to see the lab coat in action, look to the second to last post.

5 comments:

Dan and Dee said...

good to hear from you lewis!

Hillary said...

Lewis,
With all that crap you are lugging around you need like a Safari Jacket or something! I think it might be a bit more functional, although you wouldn't look nearly as "cool" Dr. Jones. Hey, you might even want to add a fannie-pack... that would carry more stuff too. :)

I think you should also add the "Pocket Protector" for "nerd"-sake because you are deffinitely a nerd. I know because I am married to one that is following closely in your footsteps. THANK YOU VERY MUCH by the way for turning him onto this oh so long and painful journey of OMS.
-Hillary

P.S. Hi to you too J.J.!! -- Re: you last post... I totally sympathize with the game-system obsession!! ARGH! Completely MADDENING!! Hope all is well!! Miss you guys!

The Bullocks said...

Dude, gotta love the pocket protector...even though every time I see it I want to yell at the top of my lungs...NERD ALERT a la Austin Powers!!! Anyway, a safari jacket would be nice but a fishing jacket would be great too and then you could use your pliers and tweezers that you use to get the hook out of the fish and maybe even your knife to gut a patient :)and if you ever need a needle to stitch up somebody you could just use a hook. Later

Brian and Jackie said...

JJ tell Lewis to find me a sports bar if he can for thanksgiving night. My toppers play Gonzaga. I would like one where they don't carry around sawed off shotguns, but I will take what I can get.

M and J said...

Oh come on Brian, you didn't like my sports bar. We had a great adventure, and almost got shot in the process.