Wednesday, September 5, 2007

SOCCER!!!!!!!!!




Aiden started soccer this week. I knew I wanted to sign her up for soccer because she loves to be busy and have lots of things to do. Plus, I knew I would be in trouble with at least one member of my family if I didn't. Jordan has been doing soccer drills with Aiden every time she sees her since Aiden could walk. When she was 2 Jordan told me to lie about her age to get her in to the city league. So see, I had no choice but to sign her up. Let me explain. So, I come from a family that loves soccer. I started playing at the age of 8--I think--with my sister Jordan who is 2 years younger than me. My dad signed us up for an 8 and under boys indoor league and bribed us with donuts. We had no idea what we were doing and couldn't see over the wall to figure it out. We just went in when they told us and ran around like crazy. It was fun though and I can still remember what that place smelled like. Jordan was better than me even then, but I kept playing until 9th grade when I switched to running cross country and track. My dad has always coached us and has a great grasp of the game, he loves loves loves it. He coached us in rec. leagues, competitive, and also coached high school, they loved him. My mom has also coached us and has spent many many hours watching soccer as well as playing chauffeur up and down Parley's canyon. Both of my sisters played in college and Jordan was her conference player of the year at William and Mary. Jackie went to Western Kentucky where she helped start up their women's soccer team. If you girls will email me a picture of you in your soccer garb I can add it to my blog. Anyway, back to my point. Aiden started soccer this week.
She was so excited about it she has been begging to wear her shinguards and cleats all week. I was worried that her expectations would be much different than her experience and that would make her frustrated. On Monday Lewis talked to her about playing sports. He told her that it isn't really important who wins, but when we play sports and we get tired we just "keep on going". She keeps reminding herself of that over and over and reciting it to me. At practice, she ran, she kicked, she passed, she dribbled (sort of), she tried and tried to score. (Brooks kept getting in the way while trying to join the practice and has actually been kicking the soccer ball around a lot the last few days). Her team voted and decided to be called "Red Fire" (their uniforms will be red), and I even volunteered to be the team mom and assign treats. When it was all over her cheeks were red and she was tired. When I asked her what she thought of it she told me that I could call her coach and tell him she wouldn't be coming back. WHAT?!?!?! But it was so fun (and we already paid and bought you all that gear)! "But I was just so hot and I couldn't score". Oh well, I guess we'll see what happens next week.

2 comments:

lnkmom said...

Ok, little kids and soccer are a MUST! I can't wait until my girls are all decked out like Aiden! Just wait until you see the "pack" of kids moving across the field, it is one of the funniest things I've ever seen. Hope she sticks with it!

Hillary said...

Kids like to complain... make her go... that's what parents do, right? :) I love the picture of Brooks in the hat!!! So funny!!
It was GREAT to talk to you yesterday!!!
Talk to you again soon!
Love, Hillary