Monday, June 25, 2007

This is why I HATE the DMV.

In order to get a job at the DMV you must:
1. have no personality
2. have no desire to help anyone
3. be able to work at a painfully slow speed
4. tell everyone that they are in the wrong line or have all the wrong paperwork
5. take at least 10 breaks a day starting at 9:30 am

This morning I got online to find out exactly what paperwork I would need to register my car and get an Alabama driver's license. I decided to get there early (like everyone else) because I had no idea how long it would take and I have lots to do before Thursday. I got there at about 8:15 (they open at 8) and went over to the Drivers License line where I stood for about a half hour and moved maybe 5 feet--seriously. At this point I think to myself "maybe I am in the wrong line, I should ask". So my kids and I trek over to the information counter and of course I was in the wrong line. I have to go in the door that says "drivers test" --OBVIOUSLY-- and talk to the woman there. At least I think she was a woman. Anyway she looks at me like I'm some stupid fool and like I should have known there would be no way they could help me today. "We is already filled fo today. These peoples have been waiting in line since 6 am." She then told me that I could put my name on a list at the information desk and come back at 1pm. I decided that would be a good idea. BUT since we were already there I decided to also register my car. Once again I got in line and once again it was the WRONG line. I am not kidding.
I think I got the gift for bad luck at the DMV from my mom. We took 3 or 4 trips to the DMV just to get my license when I turned 16 and only ever got it because she was screaming at the guy telling him he had to do it and we would not come back tomorrow. When I went to register the Civic when we moved to Conn. it took me at least 2 tries because we didn't have the right paperwork and then when I went to register the Camry it took me 4 trips to the DMV and I am not kidding. (You can ask Sumer because she watched my kids every time!!)
Anyway, getting back to my story.....I got in the right line finally and the lady was helping me get my car registered when she said we have to go outside and see the car so she can "inspect" it, ha! the lady behind the desk inspected it. I got worried that she would have to get in the car that is seriously smelling worse than anything I have ever smelled because our sunroof was leaking and it is so hot and humid PLUS Brooks gave us a bonus chocolate milk spill on the way home last night. She didn't need to go in but I warned her anyway. She laughed and asked me for the Conn. registration. I looked in the glove compartment and it wasn't there. I am not kidding again. WHERE IS THE REGISTRATION!!??"!!??!?!?!?!?!? I have no idea but I gave her my CT emissions testing results and she registered the car but told me to bring it in when I find it. I searched and I thought I found it, but it was our UT registration. I have no idea where the CT one is, but my car is still registered in Alabama.
We then went to Target so I could return the USB cord that I bought to replace our missing printer cord (are you seeing a trend here?). By the way I found the cords finally. I was recharged with positive energy at Target as always. We went back to the DMV at 12:45 and sat and sat until 1:45 when they got to me--I was the 3rd person on the list. By this point Brooks had pulled my hair out of my ponytail about 5 times and my kids were screaming and fighting and I was pretending I didn't know them. My picture is horrible. No, it REALLY is, but it will always help me remember this day and why I never want to move again. If only to avoid having to go to another DMV. (Oh no, I have to register the Camry this week too.....)

5 comments:

Lindsey Ricks Benedict said...

Seriously, there is nothing worse than the DMV. And you would think that with the technology of this time and day you could just do everything online or if you had to go in person it would take like 4 minutes. I feel for ya!!!

kristenita said...

hhhhhhhhhhhate the DMV. what a day!!

Jack Attack said...

I echo your frustation with the DMV. When we moved to Vegas, I went to get my new license and was told I was going to have to take the written test (NV law: anyone under 25 must take test). I failed the test (so embarrassing). I was crying in the middle of DMV and told I could return in a week to retake the test. New city, new move, no family...I was a little traumatized. Luckily, I passed the second time and got a good photo.

Hillary said...

Oh what a day!! And you had your kids with you to boot!! What a nighmare!! Hopefully it doesn't cost $150 dollars to get a license in Bama like it does in CT!!
Miss you guys... I'll call you soon I promise!! :)
-Hillary

John said...

I'm glad i am not old enough to drive