Saturday, March 5, 2011

29 weeks



What do you think of Lola? Deanne Lola? Lola Deanne? Hmmmm. It's just an idea but I think it's the front runner right now. Don't hate.I forgot to take a picture yesterday and today was super busy so I forgot again. So this is me tonight right after my long hot shower:
I am so exhausted. I get so tired of hearing people complain about being tired so I hate to do this, but really I am so wiped out. I wake up and all I can think about all day is getting back in bed for a nap! With my other pregnancies I remember feeling tired but having a little bit of time when I was full of energy and projects. There have been a couple of minor projects I have completed but nothing like what I've done in the past. Maybe these last 10 or so weeks will be different. Here's to hoping!
Last weekend we took the kids to ride bikes in the soccer field parking lot and Cate decided she needed to take Georgia for a walk.
She's so helpful.

And a much needed Cate the Great update. As a baby she spit up A LOT. Not just the usual burp and spit up, more like she threw up so much I thought "she must be spitting up more than she is eating!" Lately, she had been having some issues with heartburn (grabbing her mouth and throat after eating), throwing up really easily, and crying after she ate so I finally made an appointment for her to see the doctor.
And here she is giving me attitude.

He referred us to the hospital for a swallow study which she had last week. They basically stripped her down to her diaper, tied her arms above her head and her legs together, and made me leave the room since I'm pregnant. Then they had her drink a barium "shake" and took x-rays for about 10 minutes. It went really quickly because: a) she drank the whole shake fast and b) she didn't cry or fight them while they were doing the x-rays. I was so glad and I think I was more traumatized than she was.
This is her pose while saying "I no idea!"

Luckily, we found out later that day that her problem is not due to any problems with her anatomy. She has level 3 reflux (there are 5 levels) and has been taking a prescription to help with it ever since. It seems to be working and the is no longer crying after she eats. We're hoping that this will help her to gain some weight, although we are all thrilled that she weighed in at 25.2 lbs at her last appointment!
Go Cate!!

That night (after I had taken Cate to the dr.) I started feeling really sick. I just had a cold, but I guess my asthma combined with being pregnant can make a chest cold pretty yucky. Lewis told me to go to the MEU which is like an emergency room just for pregnant women and have a breathing treatment because I was having a hard time breathing and my usual inhaler wasn't working.
Now, I'm new to this asthma thing so I just kept thinking that I would feel better any minute. When it got to be about 9pm and I wasn't improving at all and wasn't able to sleep I tried waking Lewis up to find out where the MEU was. He would only open his eyes, look at me and then either point off into space somewhere or start using medical lingo that is foreign to me. To be fair, he is so sleep deprived it's crazy and this random medical talk is nothing new. It was just bad timing when I NEEDED HIM!! I mean I was worried that my oxygen levels were dropping and the baby was getting deprived and all he could do was that?!?! COME ON!!
Anyway, I survived the night and when I called to see if my doctor could see me that day they told me to get to the MEU for a breathing treatment right away.
I went in and they had me strip down right as I walked in! And get into a hospital gown! And hooked me up to about 17 monitors! And then left me in there and sent in a intern! Hello!!! My husband is a resident, I know that the interns don't know what they are doing, please send a real doctor, give me a breathing treatment and let me leave!!!! But no, I waited and waited. Then I got the breathing treatment. During which Lewis made a stop by to see me after he looked on the hospital computer and saw that I was really there. Unfortunately he had to leave before I even finished the treatment because some joker got in a motorcycle accident. (BTW: Why don't you come over and talk with Lewis if you ever thing getting a motorcycle is a good idea)
Then I waited some more for someone to come back.
And then some more because the "dr." thought I needed a strep test and a flu test even though I knew I had neither strep nor the flu.
My real doctor came in at this point (she was in the OR at the time), said hi and told me to go because she knew I didn't have strep or the flu.
The breathing treatment made me feel better for about an hour.
And when I went to get my prescriptions they had written them all out wrong.
But by Wednesday morning I was feeling a lot better and was able to take a deep breath.
And now I am hardly even coughing anymore.
A special thank you to the robitussin and tylenol pm for helping me though it all.

Oh, and I almost forgot about Lewis' MRI last week.
He had "hurty knee". The poor poor bunny!
He injured it while trying to help Brooks boogie board in Hawaii last October. Oh, at Sunset Beach. SUNSET BEACH people! Not for woosies or 5 year olds.
But nothing major showed up so I guess he has to run through it and deal with the popping for now.
We're trilled beyond belief that tomorrow is his last day of general surgery. Someday I'll take the time to explain what this means, but mostly it means that for the next FOUR months Lewis won't be taking call (staying overnight at the hospital), working insane hours (just 6am to sometime around or before 5pm) , or working weekends (except for moonlighting which is a blessing and a curse let me tell you). So hooray for anesthesiology! Now he'll have waaaaaaay more time to word it up with friends.

3 comments:

Dan and Dee said...

Yay for Cate getting a good diagnosis for her reflux, and for being such a trooper with the tests.
Yay you have some medication to help you (it is sooooo awful to not be able to breathe!--my mom had it so rough), and yay for Lewis' knee to be "okay", and for him to finish up general surgery!
Good times ahead!
Loved the picture of I no idea and Cate walking Georgia!

Michelle said...

Yay for Lewis, and a bigger YAY for you. Maybe you'll be able to take long, luxorious naps now ;) Or you can hope.

Lewis needs to play Robbie. He's addicted.

Unknown said...

You look amazing JJ. I hear the whole tired thing! I am so there! I like the name choices too!! :)