The azaleas that I transplanted from the backyard to the side of the house are doing well. I'm glad they survived the move and the cold wet winter.
These are some of the backyard azaleas that I need to find a place for. I am thinking the very back corner of the yard. There are so many flowers on them this year.
In our front yard there is this island of plants. I have often considered just ripping the whole thing out. The oakleaf hydrangeas and azaleas are beautiful, but they had gotten overgrown and huge. This last fall someone told me I needed to prune them, to cut them back a whole lot. Also, there was this one stem of a rose bush that she told me wasn't getting enough sunlight. So I took the shears to it and cut the rose back to almost nothing (and the azaleas and hydrangea I cut by about 1/3). This morning when I decided to finally clean the bed out, I found irises and gladiolus (that had never bloomed before isn't that weird and great)!!! I was beyond excited. Also, the rose bush stem has now turned into a full on rose bush with lots and lots of buds on it. I am so thrilled because we haven't even had one rose on it before.



The main reason I hadn't noticed these developments before is because I have been focusing my efforts on the backyard. Today I finished tilling (by hand, with a shovel), raking, leveling, seeding and covering with hay the entire fenced in part of the backyard. In the past I have seeded it with fairly good results, but as soon as it rains the grass seeds just wash away. This year I decided to do it right and I have the blisters and sore back to prove it. Wish me luck! I'm so determined to get this backyard in proper backyard shape!

4 comments:
love, love all of the flowers. we are just excited for tiny buds around here. so sorry about all of the allergies. you should get one of these cool days of the week pill boxes for all of your medicine.
I miss azaleas--we still have lots of snow on the ground and it was snowing when I arrived back from Tokyo on Wed. Your blooms are awesome. I love that you found other flowers and pruned and cleaned out your front area. You are a hard worker JJ. I hope your allergies didn't act up from your outside work!
...and new grass shoots--hooray! Let's hope Georgia doesn't ruin the grass.
I love all your flowers! I thought about you the other day because I went out and bought 3 hydrangea bushes. I remember you posting about your hydrangeas changing color. I will be lucky if mine blooms. I planted it in a spot that gets pretty direct sunlight 2-3 hours/day. Hopefully they won't burn up. I'm loving Alabama right now!
Is this Johanna's blog:)
Post a Comment