Tuesday, April 13, 2010
Dust mites? Dust mites!?!?!!?!!?
I've always had allergies.
When I was growing up I pretty much had 2 choices: be a sneezing, watery eyed mess or be in a Benadryl fog.
In high school I got an inhaler for exercise induced asthma which was probably the result of my allergies mixed with running in the cold weather.
Until recently, medications like Claritin kept my allergies in control.
Fast forward to about 5 months ago. My skin started getting itchy, red and gross. I started having asthmatic episodes sometimes at night for no apparent reason.
When our insurance changed in March we decided it was time for me to see an allergist and dermatologist. BUT of course I had to choose a new PCP, go and see her, and have her office make me those appointments.
Finally, the time came for me to see the allergist on Friday. He told me I have allergies(shocking) and should move somewhere cold and dry. He even said he would write me a prescription to move to Utah!!
The craziest part of all was that while I was sitting in his office I started having an allergic reaction and my lip swelled up huge. The dr. wasn't even fazed.
They did the allergy testing on my arms and about 15 minutes later came back to read it.
I am allergic to: grass, weeds, pollen, cats, and dust mites. No surprised there. Except the dust mites. Gross. I don't even want to know that those things exist. Little gross bug things crawling all over the place. And now I need to buy plastic covers for my bed, pillows, and all my upholstered furniture. (ok just a joke)
A few hours later I noticed that my arm was getting all swollen, red and hot. I called Lew and he told me to call the Dr. office, which I did. They told me that NO that was not normal and to get back on those big doses of steroids. The bad reaction went away a couple of days later and unfortunately I'm not ready to come off the steroids.
He wrote me about 5 new prescriptions!! (perfect!!! just what I wanted!! I've become BFF with the pharmacist at Target!!)
My eyes are doing well, but every time I skip a day of prednisone (steroid) the dry, swollen, redness comes right back.
The asthma and rhinitis have improved a whole lot, the main issue now is my skin.
He said I have the allergy trifecta--rhinitis, asthma, and eczema. Sweet!!
I'm going to visit the dermatologist next week and hoping we can get to the bottom of all this.
And fast.
Or maybe I can just deal with it for the next 3 years until I can get the heck out of here.
I know that people who don't have allergies think "it's just allergies, get over it" and usually I do just get over it. I have had allergies for my whole life and it's never been bad enough that it gets in the way of my life. "Wah wah" so you have a runny nose. Right? But this is something entirely different. And it's really starting to cramp my style.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


11 comments:
Oh,no! I feel your pain. I don't think your allergies will be any better in UT, mine are bad no matter where we are.
I hope you get it all figured out! No one has ever been able to help me with my skin or allergies. The only thing I don't have that you do, is asthma (thank goodness!).
JJ, I am so so so sorry that you are going through this. That is no fun at all. I think allergies are so much worse than a cold.
That is just miserable! I can empathize entirely. About 5 years ago we had bedbugs in our apartment (thankfully, this was before the kiddos arrived) - we ended up having to move and get a new bed and it was beyond frustrating trying to fight them. I looked like I had been camping in the amazon - they like my blood a lot - disgusting! It is a major problem in the city. I hate laying down to sleep knowing they would come out and get me. Now, all of our mattress and pillow cases are encased in a protectors. If they come back - man I am ready to to attack.
Hang in there!! Sending good vibes your way.
That looks terrible! I am really sorry. I heard this on NPR the other day, it is so interesting (and gross)!
http://www.wnyc.org/shows/radiolab/episodes/2009/09/25/segments/133980
I'm glad you live in Alabama even though it's sheer misery!!! At least you're getting to take regular trips to Target, right?
oh my gosh, you should start your house hunt in Utah immediately!!
Good luck with the dermatologist! I hope you can get better answers with him/her!
Not good you poor thing!
You are such a trooper, really! Who knew that you would basically be allergic to Alabama?!?!?
you poor thing! I am so sorry for you. I will think the next time I complain about my allergies!
I am so sorry that is crazy! We hope you find a solution soon.
jj this is crazy! i hope you get all fixed up and off your drug regimen asap
Post a Comment