Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Pioneer Day



Even though we aren't in Utah, we (ok I) decided to talk about pioneers for family home evening yesterday. I think it's important that our children know what our ancestors went through in order to be able to worship as they pleased. I just went over the basics and explained that they had to move all the way from the east, near Connecticut, to Utah to go where they wouldn't be bothered any more. We talked about how they had to pack up all they could in a wagon and walk and walk. We even sang "Pioneer Children sang as they walked and walked and walked" . Apparently Aiden took it pretty hard because a few minutes after we were done she came up to me with tears in her eyes and said "didn't they have money, couldn't they just buy a car? I just feel so sad for those pioneers!" and then burst into tears. She is always a little emotional in the evenings when Lewis gets home (I think she gets so excited to have him home and doesn't quite know how to deal with it), but this was so sweet. I am so glad that she has a compassionate heart and cares about the suffering of others. I just feel sort of sad too to see her upset. I am grateful for those pioneers who risked everything for their beliefs, making my life much easier today.

1 comment:

Brittanie said...

Such a cute story! Aiden is so sweet! Yesterday Anika was in the kitchen coloring for a long time and when she came out she had colored all over her hands and cheeks and forehead - she told me that she was trying to be twins with Aiden and that they are princesses. =) She misses her!! Wish we could see you guys!