I think all married OMS residents have used the promise of future wealth to convince their spouses that this is a great idea. I have also learned now that OMS residents like to tell each other how much they know this or that OMS makes a year and how many wisdom teeth they can pull in a day. Money can be a great motivator, and when you are living on a resident's salary (or just waiting and waiting and waiting to be paid) it sounds oh so nice. Many oral surgeons do rake in the cash. Remember the "wisdom teeth only" signs in Provo? I do, and believe me, I want Lewis to make some money some day, BUT the great thing about Lewis is that money is truly not what motivates him. He did not choose this profession because of the money. From what I can tell, Lewis chose to become an oral surgeon and spend 10 years in school AFTER college because: 1. He loves it. See the first picture below. When he came home from his first surgery he didn't stop smiling for at least 72 hours. He loves the broad scope of the work and he loves the challenge.
2. He truly believes that his work helps people. Lewis loves helping people. He knows that he will have the chance to help people look and feel better. It is important to him that he spend his life doing something for the better good, and really making a difference.
So, when I hear other dental wives tell me that their husbands LOVED oral surgery too, but they just couldn't imagine 4 or 6 more years of residency, I listen and I see their point of view. Believe me, I see it. But, I am also so proud of Lewis for sticking to it and for following his dream---even to Alabama of all places. I know that he already is making a difference and that is really the most important thing. My friend whose husband is now a 4th year OMS resident recently wrote me a really nice email comparing the first year of residency to giving birth. It is really hard and painful while you are going through it and you don't know how you could possibly make it, but when it's over you sort of forget how bad it was. Let's hope so, and in the mean time, go Lewis!

Lewis the first time he got to help out in the OR.

Lewis and a boy he worked on in Paraguay.

His prodigy.(if she can get over the not liking blood thing and also pursue her tightrope walking career)
7 comments:
I've often thought about which would be better--having a husband who is home by 6, but totally hates his job, or having a husband who is crazy busy, but loves what he does.
Right now my vote is for loving what you do for a living. Go Lewis. It's killing me to watch the life be sucked out of Jaska everyday. I'm looking forward to him finding what he loves.
You rock JJ. There are not a lot of women who could do what you are doing right now.
I agree with you and Jenn, having your hubby truly happy with his job is a blessing. You are so good to support him and be willing to do all the stuff he can't right now. Good Luck to both of you!
:)
Go JJ . We are proud of you for being so supportive of Lewis and doing such a great job taking care of the kids.
You guys are the best! Lewis is awesome!! I can't beleive his days.. I don't know what 5:30 am looks like. Nor do I want to. And knowing you, your days are just as long and productive.
I want to move to alabama and be neighbors, I miss you guys!!!
ps Love the pic of Aiden!!! Too cute.
This week David told me he disagrees with the 80 hour work week. He is on a rotation that strictly adheres to it. He actually said he doesn't think it is enough time. He thinks if he wants to stay for an interesting surgery they should let him. I don't know where you get that kind of love.
I am with you J.J. it is nice to have a husband who loves what he does, not matter how long it takes.
I think you are amazing. I have really just now come to peace with residency.
Go Lewis!! You guys are awesome!
Post a Comment