Saturday, December 1, 2007

Poetry Break

At the library story time I take my kids to once a week they have a Poe-Tree that gives them a poetry break in the middle of story time. Then at the very end each kid gets their own copy to put on a ring and then they can have a poetry break any time. I love poetry and thought I might share some with you. Oh, and have you read the Gift of the Magi yet? Do it now, it will only take a minute or two........

If you are a dreamer, come in,
If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar,
A hope-er, a pray-er, a magic bean buyer...
If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire
For we have some flax-golden tales to spin.
Come in!
Come in!


Shel Silverstein

1 comment:

Jenn said...

Love it. One of my favorite kid poets is Jack Prelutsky. When I worked at a library, you could often find me in the kids section giggling over his stuff.

(From Ballad of a Boneless Chicken)

"I have feathers fine and fluffy
I have lovely little wings,
but I lack the superstructure
to support these splendid things.
Since a chicken finds it tricky
to parade on boneless legs,
I stick closely to the hen house,
laying little scrambled eggs."

:)