Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Building

I have been working on my Personal Progress. One of the things I have been wanting to do is develop a new skill so I chose building furniture. I really enjoyed making 2 bedside tables and 2 bookshelves but I am taking a break from Lowe's for a little while. Here are some of the things I've done:
(note: please don't look too closely, thanks.)
I made one for each side of the bed. This is Lew's side and this was a couple of months ago. He's reading The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie now. Isn't that a great book? I painted the back of his blue (on the inside) to match the walls but I painted mine white. What do you think is a better option? Or just bag them both and try something new?
The bookshelves are a little wider than the space for them. I didn't think about the top part when I measured because hey, I'm a beginner. Next time I'll do better. Pinkie.
And I spray painted them without figuring that in too. Hilarious. Classic JJ. I almost don't want to fix it. Also, I have to mention that Lewis did help with the first few steps (putting pieces together) on the first bookshelf. His help was irreplaceable. He's a great helper and since he can put people together I bet he's really really good at putting furniture together! I can't wait to have his help on the next project! He's terrific!!!


Don't forget these: they may look easy but the second time is not so easy. Tracking down each tiny piece nearly gave me a heart attack or asthma attack or something. I think from now on we'll keep these ones up when friends come over.....

Anyway, in conclusion, I love building things. I love seeing something that I made with my own hands come together. The Legos are fun too, but the tiny pieces are hard to keep track of with Cate always stealing things and hiding them in tiny places.

3 comments:

Mikelle said...

I am so impressed. Your PP project turned out waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than mine!! Plus I am super jealous of your new storage!!

Johanna said...

Super cool! I want to learn how to make one of those book shelves bad. ha, I just remembered when we attempted to make those dresses in HS. It looks like your mad skills have definitely improved since then.

Dan and Dee said...

I am amazed. I think the blue at the back of the bedside table is a neat look. I wouldn't have thought of that. I am so impressed with your ability to just do things!