Sunday, September 12, 2010

"Our dear old Park High!"


I took the kids to a high school football game on Friday night. It has probably been somewhere around 15 years since I went to a high school football game. Honestly, I'm not sure how that is possible. Can it really have been that long? Wow.
Anyway, the local elementary school girls had a chance to do a cheerleading clinic and they were going to be cheering during the second quarter and my kids were BEGGING me to go so they could watch their friends cheer. Of course, as we were headed out the door and leaving Brooks behind because he wasn't ready to go, he was saying " I didn't know it was TODAY". It was high school football in all it's loud, sweaty (because it was still at least 90 degrees at 7pm), smelly glory. We found a spot to sit thanks to a friend from church who we ran into as we were getting there (thanks Bonnie!), sat down and watched those little girls cheer their hearts out. We also saw Brooks' teacher who is a coach, Aiden's teacher who was there with his wife and son, a preschool teacher, and other teachers/parents that we know. Brooks just kept waving his guts out at his friend "G" who was down cheering. She never saw him but let's not tell him that, ok?
Although our team was getting wasted, my children were beginning to unravel, and I was questioning my sanity for bringing my 3 little tired children out to the sweaty football game by myself, we were determined to stay until halftime for the halftime show.
It did not disappoint.
Our high school marching band is apparently nationally ranked.
There are over 300 band members and they are in the Macy's Thanksgiving parade as well as the Rose Bowl parade.
They were so AMAZING. But Aiden couldn't get over the dancers in their red glittery outfits. Or the flag girls with the beautiful colorful flags waving all over the place.
It was really fun and wore my little ones out.
I'm sure glad we went.
(And I'll send you ten bucks if you can finish the rest of "our dear old park high" without cheating--because I can!)

2 comments:

Katie said...

Can't believe I'm still awake for this but here goes...
Our dear old Park High...her colors, Red and White, we'll Raise 'em High.
Our Dear Old Park High..We'll sing her praises to the sky.
We will be loyal...in everything we say and do.
We are united..and we're all for you!
(now it gets exciting)
Rah rah rah Park High dear old Park High...Best school in the land.
Rah rah rah Park High dear old Park High...cheer our loyal band (rah rah rah)
Cheer, our dear old high school...show your loyalty.
Three cheers for your school, our school, MY school...fight for VICTORY (FIGHT FIGHT!!)

No cheating here...I guess I got something out of that year of drill team..besides a polyester skirt that fits Clara now...you might just see the entire ensemble on Halloween!!

Dan and Dee said...

Were you also there to be a supportive yw leader?

It does bring back memories. I am glad the kids had fun!