Wednesday, September 22, 2010

A bad case of the spots

Lewis and Brooks talking about human anatomy. Brooks likes to grab Lew's medical books off the shelf and study them. What kid does that? Nasty!!!


A couple of Brooks' friends are taking karate this year. When he found out, B asked if he could take it too. It is on Mondays and Wednesdays after school. For several weeks we've been trying to go, but things keep coming up. So, last Wednesday we were determined to get there. As we started to unload from the car when we got there I saw a few red dots on Brooks' face. And his neck. I said "lift up your shirt" and sure enough-- more spots! He was literally covered from head to toe. Since I don't remember what chicken pox look like, I called the pediatrician and we ran right over to his office. They made us go in the side door and take the room farthest from all the other rooms "just to be safe". Remember when chicken pox was something everyone just got? As soon as the doctor came in he knew it wasn't chicken pox. Maybe a virus, maybe a reaction from a virus he had earlier, maybe a drug reaction (penicillin), maybe an allergy? But certainly not chicken pox!
He actually felt great, only a little bit itchy. However, he was so embarrassed about the way he looked that he decided to stay home Thursday and Friday. So no one would look at him weird. Or say anything about it.
This is what he looked like on Thursday after the spots started to get bigger. I wish I had a picture of him on Wednesday, but the only one I took is on my phone and not very good.
And Friday:
PS don't you adore his "outie"?

8 comments:

Mikelle said...

That looks miserable!!! Maybe he needs to move out of the south too!

lnkmom said...

Oh, the poor baby. I can't believe he is smiling in most of those pictures... what a trooper! I hope he is feeling better (and that the rest of your family doesn't get sick)!

Jack Attack said...

poor Brooks. Alabama has not been got to your skin types. hope it clears up soon.

Sarah said...

JJ, What is it? Can the doctors diagnose it? I'm sorry the South has been so rough on the Jones' skin. Seriously....

Hope he is feeling better. I like his haircut, by the way.

Sarah

Dan and Dee said...

pretty scary looking...what could have caused such a reaction???
Never saw anything like that before...poor guy. I wouldn't have gone to school either! Hope it's gone by now.
It looks itchy!

Cat said...

Yikes! Still no diagnosis?

kristenita said...

Wow! Poor Brooks, did they ever figure out what it is? Crazy!

Michelle said...

Holy Cow! Poor little guy! Hope they disappear soon!