Monday, August 2, 2010

Skin update and products I can use

When I decided to go to Utah for 3 weeks this summer I was concerned about my skin. Everything I've ever heard says that dry weather makes eczema worse. Luckily for me, something about Utah made my skin better. Much better. As in, my skin was perfectly clear of any rash after about 3 days in Utah. Weird thing was that after a few days in Washington/Oregon my skin started getting bad again. Something about the humidity is making me itchy....
Anyway, since I've been home my skin is bad again. No surprises there, but I bought an air purifier today at Costco and am considering having my vents cleaned out and just hoping that these things will do the trick. Or at least make the rash a little better.
I don't think that my paraben "allergy" is what is causing the skin problems (which is what my dermatologist thinks it is) but I do think going paraben-free is probably a good idea. I have a 76 page list of products I can use, but here are some of the less expensive products I have found and like:
from Whole Foods, really a good price. I think $4.99 for this size. My scalp and hair are so healthy and not oily even in the sweaty humid weather. I highly recommend this stuff:

From Costco, a brand new product made entirely from plants. $9.99 for two:

I got this from a friend whose husband is a dermatologist. I think they got it free from the company. This is a brand that derms. like and I think it might be because they get it free..... but it works and is very gentle. This is the brand of sunscreen that I use too (Vanicream) and you can get it at Target:

Makeup choices are pretty much limited to expensive brands and since I don't wear it that often, this is pretty much my mascara choice and actually I don't like it. (I'm considering a trip to the Bare Essentials store in the mall):

This is the thing about parabens, some Dove products are paraben-free while others aren't. This particular deodorant is and it's nice:
Do you have any paraben-free products that you love that I can try? Let me know! I'm always looking.

3 comments:

Jack Attack said...

maybe that's a sign you need to move back to UT.
I LOVE Bare Essentials. It's all I use. My skin hasn't looked better. Jonna also had some issues with her skin and she did really well with Bare Essentials (and Bobby Brown).
good luck!

Dan and Dee said...

I didn't know you were having a hard time in Washington...:(
Does chlorine do anything to your skin? Carlie found that she was allergic to chlorine and has to have a chlorine free water system...
Looks like good paraben free products
I am jealous of your blueberries. I can't even imagine how much those would cost here!

Margo said...

I am so sorry you have to worry about all this stuff. How crazy. P.S. love all the cute pictures of your kids. they are getting so big.