Monday, August 11, 2008

Mom of the year AGAIN

So this morning I went to drop Aiden off for her first day of school. Kindergarten. And it was like they always say, watching her walk into the school made me think that the next thing I know she'll be walking into her college dorm.
One of the papers they gave us at orientation last week was a list of instructions for carpool, the dropping off and picking up procedures. They specifically asked that parents not walk their children in or walk up to pick them up because it messes up the carpool line. Well, apparently that doesn't apply for the first day. Aiden was probably the only kindergartener who didn't get walked in on the first day! I watched kid after kid being walked in. But I had all three kids with me. And there was nowhere to park for at least 2 blocks. And they specifically said DO NOT WALK THEM IN. So I got in the carpool line.
I felt terrible as I dropped her off and she panicked.
"Do you remember how to get to your classroom Aiden?"
Panic stricken face. "no!" (really, we have only been to the school ONCE!!!!! What was I thinking?!?!?!!?!?!?)
She got out anyway, super brave Aiden, and I sat there watching as she walked up to the nearest adult and was led to her classroom.
I felt so bad!!!! I hope she isn't scarred for life. She could come home really hating me today. Also, she begged and begged to buy lunch (where did she come from, I hated the idea of buying lunch), so we'll see how that went. You can bet I'll be the first in line to pick her up when she gets done at 3. And then I'll let her pick out any treat she wants.

4 comments:

lnkmom said...

My heart is breaking for you JJ... that's so sad, for both of you.

I hate rules like that and I'm sure I would have tried to follow it too!

I hope A. has an amazing first day of K.!!! I'm sure she did great!

Jenn said...

How sad! I bet you're probably stressing about way more than A--she probably forgot all about it once she got to her class. :) Don't worry, when she's our age, she probably won't remember it anyway. I figure that anything that happens five and under is totally not going to be remembered unless they go under some serious therapy when their older and dig up all those repressed memories. :)

Dan and Dee said...

Aiden called and she sounded like she loved her first day so she doesn't sound scarred (thank heavens!)
She sounded so happy!What a doll!

That broke my heart though!!

The Frosts said...

Oh, I almost could have written your same post. C's school is super strict about drop off and pick up. Luckily a girl in my ward gave me the rundown for the first few days that parents walk kids in. I'm so sorry. This sending kids off to school is way harder than I thought it would be! I'm sure she did great!