Thursday, February 6, 2014

Award assembly

A received student if the month, AR award for getting her AR goals, and Principal's Pride which is all A's and S's.

B also got student of the month, Principal's Pride, and AR award.

C got Star Student (all S's) and student of the month. 

All three received every possible award for their class. I am so proud of them for working hard at school and for showing good behavior. Since no one really reads this blog any more I don't mind a little bragging! Ha! But really, I have been blessed with the greatest kids. This school year hasn't been easy but they have stuck together and have tried to make the best of the situation. Cate is doing better in her class. Her anxiety seems to be better,but maybe that's because she didn't have school for a month! Aiden being the safety patrol in cate's classroom really helped ease the morning stress, but they just moved her to the special needs classroom. She has still been walking cate to class every morning and that seems to work wonders.
 A and B finally finished he process of being placed in the gifted program. Because it isn't federally funded at all there is a very small gifted program in our school system. In wv you have to test in at least the 97th percentile to be eligible. After weeks of testing then waiting for it to be analyzed then a meeting to discuss their eligibility then an IEP meeting--breath-- they finally started when they went back to school. A goes all day Monday and b goes all day Wednesday. They bus kids in from a bunch of other schools, but they are still very small groups. I love the teacher they are with, she is amazing and has a son who is a general surgery resident. :) the good news is that they are both on an IEP so they can get gifted services anywhere we go!
Another bright spot has been a's viola class. There is a strings teacher who goes around to a few schools and teaches classes. I love that she is getting that training. She is also doing all county chorus and her school choir which has been really fun for her. 
B loves his class and he has a great teacher. I'm really grateful he was put in that class. She pushes her students and moves them along as they are ready.
Poor cate has had a rough time but I so have to say she is reading and writing very clearly! She has yet to bring home any cutesy artsy projects (all year-- seriously) and has yet to had any free play time in KINDERGARTEN but seems to be doing ok.. I'm telling you, you have never ever seen a class of ks sit like these kids do. They sit silently, on their spot on the rug or in their assigned seat and don't make a peep. They walk down the hall silently in a perfect line! It's totally insane. One more gem: A has had several kids from her class who have received in school suspension which they  do in Cate's kindy classroom! Because her teacher is possibly the scariest woman to ever teach elementary. (Although she did give me a huge, awkwardly long hug right before Christmas break. I guess she liked the jewelry we made her. ) (Also, I had a really mean and scary 3 rd grade teacher named Mrs. Williams. We had 5 projects per month and she had black frizzy witch hair and elaborately painted long long nails.)
Even though the school experience has been a change (children being disrespectful to teachers for example) and a challenge, I am grateful that my children have proven to be resilient and are thriving in spite of it all!
See, they are pretty amazing. 

1 comment:

Dan and Dee said...

I'm so glad you share their accomplishments. No bragging, just sharing. I am so happy with the little people they are! I am so impressed that Cate is hanging in there with her mean K teacher, my heart is sad for her to have this experience but I guess she is so soft she will learn to be thick skinned. Brooks glasses look great. Gpa and I would love a closer look at his new look.