Saturday, June 27, 2009

Gone Fishin'












Elizabeth and Brooks really wanted to go fly fishing while I was in Utah, but I was unsure about taking two kids out and letting them fling a dry fly back and forth, so I promised that we would go fishing at a lake after we got back to Alabama. One trip to Walmart later, we were the proud owners of a Lightning McQueen fishing pole and a Zebco special, complete with worthless lures. We went to Oak Mountain State Park on the north lake and went fishing. It was 8:30 by the time we got there and it was already about 90 degrees, not great weather for sitting and watching bobbers. But, the kids were both troopers and each landed one fish (bluegill I think--we looked online when we got home). Elizabeth retired shortly after her catch, but Brooks wanted a second fish (after multiple trips to the cooler for 7up and cookies/fruit snacks). Brooks also loved grabbing the worms (we used live bait), and I also used crickets. Elizabeth caught hers on a worm, while Brooks landed his on a cricket. They both loved it. It reminded me of the mastercard commercials: fishing gear $45, park entrance $7, bait $8, catching your first fish with your kids . . . priceless. Cheesy, but it was true. I probably had the most fun of any of us out there. (JJ and Cate suffered through the entire process in the nearby shade, which was probably 89 degrees instead of 90.)

3 comments:

Katie said...

You are the best parents!!! And is she really Elizabeth now???

Melissa B. said...

Ok she must really be Elizabeth?! Is this her middle name and now you've decided their are too many Aidens in the world. I love both names. You can see we are a little confused and curious. She is darling!

Tiana said...

How fun! Their first fishing trip and they have already caught more than Candace :) (Just kidding Candace -in case you read this.) It is about 4:45 am and I have been up for a few hours thanks to jet lag so I decided to catch up on your blog. It is the best way to keep up with your kids since we live so far away!