Saturday, December 5, 2009

Boppa



My grandfather, Boppa, passed away yesterday and I just wanted to write something quick about him. I'm heading up to Utah later today for his funeral, but I know that he loved to look at my blog so I wanted to put something here for him.
I love this picture of him reading to my kids. I know it's not a great picture, but it is so sweet. Boppa loved to read. He had so many books and was always filling his coffee table with more and more. Another thing that we had in common was our love of France and the French language. He served a mission in France just after World War II and he always kept up his French and loved to speak it with me. Also, he loved having a garden. He always had the most amazing garden and fruit trees. We collected the best apricots, cherries, and garden treats from their yard. I can't think about Boppa without thinking of the cabin. We had so many wonderful times there and I know that it was because of all of his hard work.
I am grateful to have such a wonderful Boppa!! I know that there are so many who are sad and missing him now, but we are all grateful for our knowledge of and faith in God's plan of salvation and in Jesus Christ. I am especially grateful for our eternal family and the knowledge that I can be with Boppa and all of my family forever and ever.

8 comments:

Tennille said...

So sweet, JJ! We watched the slide show that Adam made of pictures of the cabin just a few weeks ago with everyone. It was wonderful!

Katie said...

So sorry--are you all going, or can I help with kids? Just let me know. Very sweet post. Sounds like a wonderful grandpa!

Erin and Harold said...

I am sorry JJ. That is a very sweet picture!

Tiana said...

I'm so sorry to hear he passed away. I remember him being such a kind and funny man. I like the picture of him and A & B.

Mikelle said...

Oh, JJ I am so sorry! I am in CA right now, but will be back Wed mid morning if you need help with Cate or anything! I am so glad that you were able to come out in October and spend time with him! He sounds like a wonderful man!!

Jack Attack said...

sorry to hear about your grandpa.

Johanna said...

oh, JJ. I am so sorry. I was so sad to read this. I loved your grandpa. When ever I saw him he was so nice to me and always talked to me and wanted to know how I was. I always felt like he really cared. He was such a nice, sweet person and so fun. Thanks for letting us know. I am sure the cabin won't be the same with out him and that you will really miss him.
Tell your grandma hello and that I am thinking of her and I love her too.
loves

Dan and Dee said...

It is always hard losing a grandparent! sigh...I am so glad you were able to go and be around your gma, mom and family. He will be well remembered as a kind, good natured man!
The picture is wonderful! I hope you frame it!