Thursday, November 7, 2013

Allergy update


After the last post I went to the allergist. She recommended: at CT scan to determine if I had nasal polyps or cysts, allergy blood testing, and a steroid shot then 5 days of prefnisone (another steroid). She also prescribed me singular and a nasal spray steroid to use every day. 
I got to visit Lewis at work for the ct scan and he read it for me. I dont have nasal polyps or cysts, but I do have a deviated septum and a large spur. That was good news. A couple of days later my eyes were back to normal and I was enjoying the effects of the steroids on my runs. :) 
She wanted to see me in two weeks which was yesterday. I had more allergy testing done-- this time skin testing. Well, as we know I have several severe allergies. I have gone off sugar and dairy (for the most part)at Nana's recommendation, and am hoping that will help me to be less reactive. I saw a different allergist and she recommended I start immunotherapy which is also known as allergy shots. She said it is expensive and  a long term process, but I am willing to see if it helps. She also said that sometimes eczema is caused by foods that cross react when certain trees and grasses are pollinating.
Very interesting since my allergies have been presenting that way. So, in the fall I should be avoiding melons, cucumbers and zucchini,etc. I am hopeful that avoiding these foods will help my eyes to not swell. Wouldn't that be great?!?!? 

The highlighted allergens are the ones that really do it for me: 




1 comment:

Dan and Dee said...

wow, what a process. I hope they can help you out. Are you allergic to dogs? I thought you weren't...